Friday, June 15, 2007

Raised Bed Veg Gardens (cont.)



I've had such fun (really!) gardening this year. I hardly break a sweat anymore. No hoeing and hacking and dragging around hose. The project began when I went down to the Big Garden to plant potatoes and onions. I realized that the garden spot was infested with creeping jenny (bindweed) and that there was no hope of me keeping up with it. So......I was rescued from my garden dilema by my teenaged sons who built me two 3x10' raised bed frames. You can read about its beginnings here.
Front: tomatoes & marigolds Back: lettuce, kale, radish, carrot throughout.


Now look at my pretty veggie beds! Today I set the wire trellis for the pole beans and snow peas to climb. I also staked my tomato plants with dead branches from my willow trees. This garden fairy is delighted!

Front: pole beans, cabbage, bush beans, zucchini. Middle: snow peas End: peppers, cukes.Carrots are sprinkled through most of the gardens.



How about a tub o' onions? I decided to use some of my flower garden spaces to grow veggies too. This whiskey barrel sits in a bed of purple petuntias with more onions growing here and there among them. I sprinkled some red poppy seeds in the barrel with the onions in hopes that they add a little pop of color and interest later on. Poppy seeds are also sprinkled in the flower bed. When it's looking fabulous, I'll take another picture.

9 comments:

  1. Everything's so green! And so lovely! What a happy hay day!!

    SC

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will love your raised beds, they are so much easier to keep up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know why I didn't know about your blog! It's wonderful and I look forward to checking it frequently! I found the link readng posts at Home Made Coffee Shoppe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your beds look great! I love the rocks, too. :) Mike made one for me, but it is waiting for something to happen to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea.
    I might adapt it some time.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. We did a raised bed as well, but it doesn't look nearly as good as yours! Well-done! No Weeds!
    Enjoy! Again, I can't get over how lush and green everything is...so lovely!
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Forgot to mention that I love your whiskey barrel. I have one also but it is filled with portulaca.
    I also love your rustic wheel...looks great against the barrel!
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your raised bed gardens look great! I am enjoying the one raised bed I have for strawberries~very little weeding required at all~it's great! In future I would love to try them for veggies as well.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm trying something different and growing my tomatoes up-side-down this year.
    Stay tuned for the first big boy!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping in. Sorry, but due to spam, only registered users can comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...