Sunday, September 16, 2007

September Sunday Dinner

One more bit of Autumn Bliss to share.

~Menu~
Garlic-roasted Pork Loin
Applesauce
Roasted Veggies
Warm Gingerbread with Whipped Cream

Here's the recipe from Emeril Lagasse:

Garlic Roasted Pork Loin:

2 1/2 to 3 1/2 pound boned pork loin
8 large cloves garlic, peeled
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
Olive oil
2 tablespoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper

Place a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to coat the bottom and heat. Season the pork loin with salt and pepper. Sear loin on all sides until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes per side.

In a food processor, combine the garlic, rosemary, sage, and thyme. Process until smooth. Add enough oil to make the mixture a good, spreadable consistency. Season with salt and pepper.
Remove the pork from the heat. Carefully rub the garlic/herb mixture over the pork loin.
Roast until an instant read thermometer inserted into the center of the roast registers an internal temperature of 140 degrees F, about 40 to 45 minutes at 375*
(This recipe also had a raspberry glaze with it, but my family doesn't like that sort of thing on their meat, so I omitted it. If you'd like to see the entire recipe, click here.)

The Roasted Veggies were just that -- veggies (potatoes, broccoli, baby onions, garlic, mushrooms, apple chunks) all chopped and tossed with olive oil, salt & pepper. I roasted them alongside the pork loin for about 30 minutes, turning occasionally.

Now for the finale'.......
Warm Gingerbread

1/2 c. butter
2 T. fresh-grated ginger
1/4 t. salt
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. allspice
1/2 t. ground ginger
1/4 t. black ground pepper
1/2 c. dark brown sugar
1 c. dark molasses
1 t. spicy brown mustard
2 eggs
2 t. baking soda
2 1/4 c. flour
1 c. hot strong-brewed coffee
powdered sugar


Combine butter and fresh ginger in saucepan. Simmer until aromatic, 3-5 min. Stir in salt, cinnamon, allspice, ginger, pepper and simmer another 30 seconds. Remove from heat.

In a large bowl mix spice mixture and stir in sugar, molasses, and mustard until smooth. Mix in eggs and soda until it foams. Stir in flour and beat well. Mix in coffee until smooth. Pour into greased 9x9" pan, dusted with flour. Bake at 375* for 40-45 minutes. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove. Dust cake with powdered sugar and a stencil. Serve warm with whipped cream.


And it was GOOD!
Autumn Bliss!

6 comments:

  1. I'm always hungry after visiting here! Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, this all sounds sooo good. It's been a long time, since I've made gingerbread. You've inspired me once again. Thank you Jody!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clarice,
    Let me know what you think of the gingerbread (and how you altered it!).

    Karla, something's always cookin' here! I tell my husband I don't need perfume -- I smell like food!

    I hope you like the gingerbread too, Mrs. Staggs. Happy baking!

    ~Jody

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made your gingerbread tonight and had a lovely cuppa with it! It was very good. I wasn't sure about the brown mustard, but I added it anyway! ;) I did do half whole wheat flour and it was good that way too! Thanks for the recipe!!
    Lisa L

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa L,
    I'm so glad you liked the gingerbread. Like you, I was a wee bit hesitant about the spicy mustard, but all the spices really make this a deep-flavored cake.

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read about you by visiting Mrs. Staggs, who sent me to Storybook Woods, where Clarice mentioned mustard in the gingerbread, so I just had to come and see the recipe. I think I will make this. I was going to make apple upside down cake but our trees didn't give us many apples this year, and your gingerbread looks yummier. Never mind that I don't eat cake. Other people do. Thank you for your very beautiful menu.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping in. Sorry, but due to spam, only registered users can comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...