Thursday, September 13, 2007

When the Frost is on the Punkin...



When the Frost is on the Punkin
~By James Whitcomb Riley

When the frost is on the punkin and the fodder's in the shock
And you hear the kyouck and gobble of the struttin' turkey-cock,
And the rooster's hallylooyer as he tiptoes on the fence;
O, it's then's the times a feller is a-feelin' at his best,
With the risin' sun to greet him from a night of peaceful rest,
As he leaves the house, bareheaded, and goes out to feed the stock,
When the frost is on the punkin and the fodder's in the shock.

Tonight I went out to gather up the rest of the ripe and nearly-ripe tomatoes and then covered up the vines with blankets and sheets. My daughter-in-love brought over her ripe, orange "punkins" to store in our garage, and she'll be covering up her big, green ones that are still on the vine for the night. We're expecting the first frost of the season and then, as it so often happens out here, it's supposed to turn nice and warm again. September is the month of covering and uncovering flowers and veggies to protect them from the frost. I like to pull the pots of geraniums and baskets of petunias in close to the house on the porch for as long as I can. I enjoy s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g out the season for as long as possible....

They's something kindo' harty-like about the atmusfere
When the heat of summer's over and the coolin' fall is here --
Of course we miss the flowers, and the blossoms on the trees,
And the mumble of the hummin' birds and buzzin' of the bees;
But the air's so appetizin'; and the landscape through the haze
Of a crisp and sunny morning of the airly autumn days
Is a pictur' that no painter has the colorin' to mock --
When the frost is on the punkin and the fodder's in the shock.

Click here to read the rest of the poem....

Clarice at Storybook Woods is celebrating Autumn Bliss this week. Please stop by and see all her beautiful ideas to enhance your hearth and home this fall.

4 comments:

  1. My tomatoes are not ripe yet. I hope the frost doesn't get them....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your photo!
    Your daughter in love sure knows how to grow pumpkins! They look so big and bobust! I also love your wire basket filled with tomatoes! Did you use the contents of that sunflower bag to plant sunflowers? That would make a good harvest of sunflowers!
    and...
    You know how much I love James Witcomb Riley...one of my favourite Fall poems (an Oke from Muskogee:)
    Thanks for sharing Jody!
    Love,
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely poem! Certainly a lovely thing to read in celebrating Autumn Bliss Week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always loved that phrase, "the frost is on the pumpkin". It's a wonderful photo Jody. I love pumpkins. Always have.
    It's so interesting to watch the way autumn has been anticipated and is unfolding on everyone's blogs. It is inspiring all sorts of lovely posts, including yours.
    I've been thinking about repotting my geraniums and saving them over on my indoor back porch this year. That's the hard part of summer's end. Letting go of the beautiful flowers.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping in. Sorry, but due to spam, only registered users can comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...