Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Stock dog family round-up...

The oldest member of our stock dog family
is Jessie.  She's  a  Border Collie with a small part Australian Shepherd.
She is 13 years old, which is quite old, especially for a working stock dog.  
Although Jessie doesn't work as hard as she used to,
she still loves to be in on the action whenever we are
working with livestock.
Jessie is also a loving companion who loves to catch a Frisbee
and plays fetch with anyone who will throw a ball or rock for her.

Sue received the Dog of the Day award yesterday, and she did a nice job of helping us out again today as we loaded up the sheep to take to the sale yards.   Sue is the daughter of Jessie and is 5 years old.
Sue also loves to fetch a ball or rock or stick, and she has a special desire to please Jessie.  Every time they are chasing balls together and Sue gets it, she always lays the ball in front of Jessie to bring it back to the thrower. 
She's a thoughtful pooch!

Here's the newest member of our stock dog family, Penny, who is a
Pembroke Welsh Corgi/Border Collie cross who turned one year old this spring.
Our son and daughter-in-love bought her as a companion, 
but she shows great promise as a working dog despite her small size. 
Corgis are considered herd dogs so she has a natural
interest in the sheep.  
Penny is Hazel Peach's best friend which is a fine thing to be.

"The dog was created especially for children.  
He is the god of frolic."
  ~Henry Ward Beecher

9 comments:

  1. I grew up on a farm with a dog like Jessie...best one we ever had. I didn't know corgi's were used for this...awesome! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sweet! Your dogs are adorable I just love when they smile :) I had no idea that Corgis were working dogs either. Thanks for sharing Jody and have a blessed day!

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful dogs you have. I love the story about Sue giving the ball to Jessie -- how very sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dogs become not just companions and friends, but also a big part of ours lives and families.

    I swear sometimes that there are real people living inside those loyal, furry, little bodies!

    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post makes me want a dog. Our sweet Sandy died a few years ago. I LOVED her, but scooping the poop and vacuuming up the hair, not so much. Now, if I could take my dog to school, I think I'd have one! Your dogs are so strong and good. Do they sleep in the house?

    ReplyDelete
  6. A friend of mine has a Corgi in her suburban home and says the dog is always rounding up the children. I bet he'd love to come play at your house.

    As a matter of fact, I'd love to come play at your house, too!

    frances

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with Frances! I'd like to come play at your house, too! I came over to look at your dogs again. They are so good and faithful! I'd like to bring them some groovy toys and a few tasty treats!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My daughter has a Border Collie-Australian Shepherd mix named Homer. They've been in 4-H for a few years and though this is her last year for 4-H she's been invited to do demos a lot lately to inspire the other kids in the 4-H dog project. Homer is a rock star in obedience and agility and he really hams it up when he has an audience. Here at home we don't really need a herding dog, but he keeps watch over all the animals anyway! When he sees us coming in the driveway he races out to the pasture to show us he's working. Bless his heart!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have a corgi mix, too, and despite the fact that he's a house dog, he tries to herd everything....in our house this mostly means kids and rabbits. He also takes immense pleasure in having a "job" to do, like waking the kids up for school. I have often caught him trotting happily down the hall to their rooms on a Saturday morning at 6:30am, all ready to do his job and puzzled when I stop him.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping in. Sorry, but due to spam, only registered users can comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...