Monday, September 05, 2011

Happy Labor Day...

Homeward, 1933
 
I don't know about you, but growing up and living out here on the ranch, Labor Day was not a day to go camping or take a vacation, but instead, a day to labor.  Usually we painted something like a house, did yard work, planted trees, or cut firewood.

Today, nothing's changed for us.  Because one of our friends has a gravel truck and another friend has a road grader and they both are taking the day off, we were lucky enough to be able to borrow both implements over the weekend.  My guys are in 7th Heaven.  They've been hauling gravel over old trails that have deep ruts.  They're graveling much-traveled trails to pastures and hay fields, and they're dumping gravel by barn doors and shed doors that have been sadly neglected.  It's work, but it's work that brings them great pleasure because it's something they don't *get* to do every day.

Ernest Ralph Norling (American artist, 1892-1974) 

Today I'll be out mowing my yards and then I'll rev up the pressure canner and get some peaches and tomatoes into jars for the winter.  It's what we do.  Sometimes we lay down one kind of work for another that seems a little more pleasing or different, and it just feels restful somehow, even if it's not rest.
Happy Labor Day--whatever you're doing!
 
Images from a terrific art blog called It's About Time.

9 comments:

  1. Happy Labor Day too you as you are all out there laboring still! Enjoy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, we always do a big part of our fall work on Labor Day weekend. It has always been that way in my life, it was how my parents did it and now we carry on the tradition.
    We enjoy it though, because when we go to bed tonight it will be knowing, Summer things will be put away and we will move into fall.
    Though I know my guys would be thrilled with a gravel truck and all of the machinery. :)
    Have a lovely day.
    Loved the images.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean. Some things don't seem like work either. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's rest... for our minds... knowing that one of the chores that has been gnawing away at us will finally be checked off THE LIST!!

    Enjoy your labor... I will too. ;)

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Labor Day was always just that; working. I grew up on a farm where we raised cane for making sorghum molasses and it would be about this time when the harvesting began. Fourth of July always found us in the peach orchards. Seldom is there a day for farmers to take a break from labor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had an interesting talk at dinner last night about jobs, which ones we'd liked most, which ones we hadn't liked at all. My favorite jobs were--and are--the jobs where you end up with something to show for your work. I would think ranch and farm work would be very satisfying for that reason.

    Great art!

    xofrances

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this post Jody! It seems that there's always "labor" isn't there? Our days off are always much the same as there's always work to do around the house!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yesterday I was sweeping off my side porch and arranging my new duck food container and a man walking by with his dog and grandkids told me I shouldn't be working so hard. You know, it didn't feel like work because that is the sort of thing I really enjoy, and like you said, it isn't work I do every day. =D

    ReplyDelete
  9. And happy labor back to you. I absolutely love those images. Thanks for sharing.
    Best,
    Patrick

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping in. Sorry, but due to spam, only registered users can comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...