Saturday, August 25, 2012

Refrigerator pickles anyone?



I received this recipe 31+ years ago from my high school chorus teacher, Mrs. Mollet.  Everyone who attended my bridal shower was asked to bring a couple favorite recipes to share, and this one has stayed in my recipe box all these years, standing the true test of time and approval. The frig pickles seem to last "forever" and you can reboil the brine and pour it over the next batch of fresh veggies you wish to pickle.  These have a bread & butter pickle flavor, but you could add some fresh dill heads to your jar for a dill flavored pickle.  Either way, they are crispy and delicious and so pretty in the jar or on the plate.  Change up the veggies any way you like and enjoy!

Sweet Refrigerator Pickles

4 c. sugar
4 c. vinegar
1/2 c. plain salt (not iodized)
1 1/2 t. mustard seed
1 1/2 t. celery seed
1 t. turmeric (opt.)
6-7 pepper corns
Bring to a boil and pour over...
1 gallon combined:  2-3 cloves garlic, sliced cucumbers, onion, peppers, carrots, green beans, or any other garden veggies you prefer.  Allow to cool on counter and then refrigerate.  Allow to sit 24 hours before eating.  Lasts a long time under refrigeration.

9 comments:

  1. Safe to say this is a keeper after 31 years! That jar looks real pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the photo! Mine are always in a nasty ice cream pail.

    I love the ease of refrigerator pickles, too. How many dill heads do you think you would add to make it more of a dill flavor?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know what I like more; the recipe or your photo. Love the large jar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're beautiful, Jody! So colorful, and I love the jar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of these summers I'm going to get a good enough cucumber crop to make these! Pretty picture!

    xofrances

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yummy, just looking at that jar makes me want to eat the whole thing. I bed they would be wonderful. I am going to have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not a big pickle fan, but those look delicious! I also love the peach pies. I have a great recipe for vanilla peach jam. I love your blog. Congratulations on 31 years. Just to hear it makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This recipe is obviously a winner! The vegetables look so pretty in your jar.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, those look really, really good! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping in. Sorry, but due to spam, only registered users can comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...