Sunday, May 19, 2013

Singin' in the rain....

The apple tree out behind the shop.  
Planted by Hubs when he was a boy throwing apple cores over the shop roof.

On Mother's Day, we left for a week of NJCAA Golf Finals in Texas.  We had never been to Texas before.  I thought we were dry and dusty, but those folks in the panhandle of Texas are drier than we were by a long shot.  There was nary a cow to be seen all along the drive south, except for dairy cows in feed lots.  The folks there were nice.  We found a great little mom & pop restaurant that served up plenty of Texas charm and delicious diner food.  On the Special of the Day chalkboard it read:  Jesus, Jesus, and more Jesus.  

While we were gone, it started raining at home.  What a gift!  We've been right on the edge of making some critical decisions about our cattle and the water situation.  Now we're singing in the rain! and smiling again!  It won't solve all of our problems, but it's a good beginning. 

 A bucketful of rain water under the down spout is a beautiful sight.

And walking in the rain is a joy.  Never mind that I have to change out of my wet jeans and dry out my sweatshirt and put up with wet frizzy hair.  It's all good!

The grass is green and growing, the cows are happy grazing greengrass and drinking fresh water, and by now the yearling ewes are lambing on the gumbo pasture in Chuck's.  I'll bet they are happy too.  We haven't been out there yet.  It's WAY too muddy to drive out there.


 The newly-painted pink swing is looking fresh and clean and ready for some children to come out and play.

 The chickens don't mind the rain at all.  In fact, the spilled corn by the granary swells and makes for delicious eating. Every now and then a worm comes up for air.  Yum!  Tastes like spaghetti.

There were lots of good things to eat from the chicken bucket today.

In other news....another homeschool kid graduates from college!  Our son, NumberFour, graduated from the university the week before we left with a BS in graphic design/communications.  He is "For Hire."

This coming weekend, another son, NumberThreeChild, will marry J.  They are planning an outdoor wedding with Plan B being -- BYOU -- Bring Your Own Umbrella.  If the rain persists -- and we will be glad if it does -- I'll have to buy some cute pink rubber boots and matching umbrella to wear to the wedding. 

How about these?



 And this?


NumberFive arrives tomorrow at the airport.  I'll go fetch him, and we'll get a proper shirt for the wedding along with dress shoes (or maybe wellies).  We'll have fun doing a little shopping together, just the two of us.

In the meantime, the grass keeps growing and the puddles keep puddling up.  I might get to mow grass this week.  I hope you're having a good weekend, and I hope that you have good things to look forward to this week.

25 comments:

  1. Woo hoo! You have a lot going on! A wedding? Hooray!
    Congrats to the grad!
    I love your boots. I put mine on yesterday.
    I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every girl needs a cute pair of rain boots! Miss you too.

      Delete
  2. What a good season of life you are in! (And I think those pink boots would look smashing at a rainy wedding!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good season! I'm hoping for a little bit of sunshine on the wedding day. We'll see.

      Delete
  3. Look at all the good news you have going here! I love the pink -- esp. the umbrella :) Graduation, wedding, delicious rain -- great news. The chickens look marvelous and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yippee for your rain! Your attitude always inspires me. Love the pink boots...just in case it rains. Woohoo a graduate and a wedding. Congrats to all...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope #4 gets a good job soon! Nice to hear what your family is up to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too. Maybe if he gets hungry enough....

      Delete
  6. I'm happy to hear the rain made it up North. It is pouring here. I'm afraid it was mixed with hail. It sounds like you have been quite busy. Good luck with the wedding and enjoy having the kids home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't got the rains that the STurgis area has had, but we are getting some rains. The hail didn't find us.

      Delete
  7. I love the rain,too. I live in Texas and we are in drought conditions.
    Smiles, Dottie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew that Texas had been in a severe drought. It shows. I hope the rains start falling there too.

      Delete
  8. Whoo Hoo for the rain! That is wonderful!. We are not far from the Panhandle and it is bad. It is bad pretty much all over Texas right now. Praying daily for this drought to end.

    Congrats to the grad and the wedding folks. How fun! And I love the pink boots and umbrella.

    ~M~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pray for rain for you all down there too. Drought is so depressing and hard.

      Delete
  9. So many things to be happy about! Congrats on your son's graduation and #3's upcoming nuptuals! And congrats on the rain! We've had far too much this spring--wish I could funnel it your way!

    xofrances

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you. We'd gladly take your extra rains.

      Delete
  10. Tastes like spaghetti! LOL :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Many wonderful things, Jody! Congratulations on all of it, even the rain. :) Love the pretty apple tree and chickens. I hope that it is dry enough for a wedding. You have to know you were in one of the least pretty parts of Texas. We have it all so next time you come you have to see something else (and maybe me!) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty rugged country there in the panhandle. I knew it would be. It looked very familiar. Our land and Wyoming can look a lot like that. I'd love to come see you next time!

      Delete
  12. Wow -- a BUSY spring for you Ms. Gumbo! It sounds like it's all fantastic with a dollop of rain on the top. Congratulations on the graduation and the wedding! And the rain!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh wow! a weeding...it'll be wonderful. we're having a lot of rain and my sheep need shearing...soon, please God, soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my, Jody! Life sounds full and GREAT. A thousand happiness' on the upcoming wedding. Hooray! I can't wait to hear how it goes...and if the guests are sporting their bogs or not. I think it's a fantastic idea.

    And on a tiny random side note...I love that swing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're in exciting times -- including the rain. Enjoy!

    Blessings!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping in. Sorry, but due to spam, only registered users can comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...