Saturday, October 17, 2015

Carrot-Orange Cookies...


 

From the 1980 Betty Crocker Cookbook
which was given to me for a wedding gift in 1981, 
this recipe is one of those yummy frosted cookies
that hardly anyone makes anymore. 

Carrot-Orange Cookies
(Originally called Carrot-Coconut Cookies - revised)

1 cup mashed cooked carrots (about 4 medium)
3/4 c. sugar
1 cup shortening (half butter)
2 eggs
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 c. shredded or flaked coconut (opt.)
2 tsp. orange zest
2 T. orange juice
 
Heat oven to 400* F.
I grate some carrots and cook them a little in the microwave.
Mix carrots, sugar, shortening/butter and eggs.
Stir in flour, baking powder, and salt.
Add orange juice and zest and optional coconut.

Drop by teaspoonfuls about 2 " apart onto ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake until almost no indentation remains when touched, about 8 minutes.  
Do not brown. Remove from pans immediately. 
Frost cookies when cool.
Makes about 2-3 dozen.

Orange Butter Frosting

2 Tbsp. butter
1 1/2 to 2 c. powdered sugar
dash of salt
2-3 T. orange juice
2 tsp. orange zest

Mix well to spreadable consistency. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was inspired to bake the Carrot-Orange cookies after reading Thimbleanna's recipe for Frosted Orange Cranberry Cookies, which I intend to try very soon.  Her cookies reminded me of this recipe and I had the ingredients on hand -- including a garden full of carrots --  so I baked.  And I'm glad I did!  It's been years since I've baked these little cakey cookies.

Speaking of baking, this past Sunday I found the TV tuned to the PBS channel and the program was in progress was The Great British Baking Show.  I just love things that are obviously named like a black kitten named Blacky or a late night show called The Tonight Show, and The Great British Baking Show is exactly what it is.  The fine bakers who are competing for the title of Best British Baker are so much fun to watch and listen to, and the judges are so brilliant and use the best adjectives to describe the baked goods.  When one of them used the word "scrummy" my heart leaped!  If you enjoy baking or eating delicious pastries and buns, you will love watching this show.  Check out the preview here and find the airing time where you live.  Don't miss it this Sunday!  Oh, and after the baking show is Masterpiece Theatre!  I like the one right after.

In this house carrot cake and carrot cookies count as vegetables.
~Anonymous

8 comments:

  1. I will have to try this recipe. You have me all inspired for baking today! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got that cookbook for a wedding present in 1980, so I will go check out that recipe. It looks yummy. I have had the biggest craving for carrot anything. I love that word too. That is what I love about the English, their lovely descriptive words. It might be a tad cooler tomorrow, so I will feel like baking.
    Have a lovely Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been enjoying that cooking show, too. Those challenges they give them seem tough to me. The other PBS show I'm enjoying is Home Fires. A WWII series. Have you seen it? The cookies looks real good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy! Iced cookies are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, a carrot version of the cookies -- they look wonderful -- I'll have to try them. If they have that yummy orange frosting, I know I'll love them! I LOVE the Great British Baking Show -- I'll have to check out the one playing now -- I wonder if it's the new season -- I thought I heard somewhere that the new season wouldn't air here until January.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have that cookbook, too, and we use it all the time! Although, since I'm a few years behind you on the road of life, my cookbook is also a few years down the road behind your cookbook. Thanks for sharing the recipe - yummy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just printed the recipe ~ looks both healthy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So funny, Jody--I just posted a link to the Great British Baking Show in my latest post! We are rabid fans in this house and all are cheering for different bakers. We were heartbroken when Ali was kicked off ...

    xofrances

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping in. Sorry, but due to spam, only registered users can comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...