Sunday, May 14, 2017

Happy Mother's Day and a recipe




Happy Mother's Day to all you mamas out there!  It's been a nice day in my neck of the woods with a little lawn chair sitting, a little iced tea, and a little book and magazine reading.  I did also do a little mowing with the rider, but just a little bit.  I'm trying to be more restful on Sundays.  However, I know several mamas out there who are "on duty" this fine Mother's Day.  They are nursing sick children, feeding hungry babies, disciplining unruly toddlers, and moving college students home from school.  A mom's job is never done, really.  We must always be able to see the good and be thankful for each day and each duty and each Someone that God gives us under the sun.


Today I'm sharing a picture of my flower patch and my lawn chair sitting spot along with my rhubarb patch.  It's growing beautifully.  We had a nice thunderstorm overnight and it was just the thing for the rhubarb as well as all the other green things growing.  I also want to share a recipe with you for Rhubarb Salsa.  I know!  Can it really be good?  Yes!  It's fabulous!  OnlyDaughter brought some out a couple days ago for us to try and we all loved it.  I insisted that we make another batch so we did and we tried it out on the rest of the families here.  Even the kiddos liked it.  I'm sorry I don't have a fine picture to show you, but we ate it all up!

Rhubarb Salsa
Serves: 4-6 persons
 
The rhubarb replaces tomato in this unique salsa. To balance the tartness, I've added some honey and the kick of a jalapeno will bring it together for a surprising burst of flavor!
 
Ingredients
  • rhubarb (1 to 1½ cups) diced small
  • ¼ cup of sweet bell pepper, diced (I used red and orange)
  • 2 tablespoons of diced white or red onion
  • 2 tablespoons of diced scallions
  • 1 jalapeño, seeds removed and diced (used red pepper flakes)
  • 1 to 2 tablespoons of cilantro, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon of lime juice
  • 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons of honey (raw if you have it)
  • kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
Instructions
  1. Heat 2 cups of water in a saucepan to boiling. Blanch rhubarb by placing in the boiling water for 10 to 20 seconds. Quickly remove the rhubarb and place in a colander. Run cold water over the rhubarb to stop the cooking process. Blot the rhubarb with a paper towel to dry.
  2. In a separate bowl, combine the bell pepper, onion, scallions, jalapeño, and cilantro. Add rhubarb and mix ingredients.
  3. In a small separate bowl, dissolve the honey in the lime juice and apple cider vinegar. Drizzle this dressing over the rhubarb salsa and stir. Add the salt and pepper. Mix well.
  4. Chill for at least 30 minutes.
This recipe comes from Simply Fresh Dinners 
so if you want to see a beautiful picture of the salsa, you can click over there and see how wonderful it is!  I wanted to tell you that I didn't have jalapeno so I used red pepper flakes.  I didn't have scallions either so we added a little more onion.  I had lemon juice instead of lime juice.  I also threw in a tablespoon or so of diced Hatch chilies from my freezer.  So you see, you can fiddle with this recipe to your tastes as I always do as I did.  We at our salsa on corn chips and later that night I had it on my tacos.  Scrumptious! 

Some of my fondest memories are picking rhubarb at my Grandma & Grandpa's farm.  It was a prized fruit and Grandpa took good care of it making sure to heap on the decomposed horse manure every fall.  We kids would eat the picked stalks raw, dipped in sugar.  (We also ate crab apples and choke cherries fresh -- SOUR!)  Do you grow rhubarb?  What are your favorite rhubarb recipes?

7 comments:

  1. Happy Mother's Day to YOU! The dear mama who mothers even those across the miles. What an encouragement you are.

    I have thought often of your post lately about taking a few moments to rest and enjoy the work we do. Even if it's just for a few minutes on the deck - I'm trying to sit down here and there.

    Yes, my routine was cleaning up after sick kids and mess in the house, but it was a good one. A big storm rolled through and the air smelled fresh and the sun is shining through the clouds now. And although unfortunate, I was happy to have a husband come home when something busted on the tractor. :) Happy day!

    All the love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Family tested is always best! Sound yummy! Happy Mother's Day to you and to yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your flowergarden is amazing!! I am so glad you had a nice day. I love that recipe. I have just tiny rhubarb, but I have only made pie. I will try that dipped in sugar though. We ate pinon nuts from the pine trees and Pomegranates, in the fall. Plus tomatoes off the vine. We had so much food growing out here that we never got hungry. :) Walnuts and pecans were great favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUMMY! I put too much water in my rhubarb sauce (I will wait to try your salsa until the rhubarb at the grocery store is better). I was craving it.
    Happy Mother's Day good mother!
    We're having freezy weather Thursday night. I must bring in my ONE hanging pot! Oh, and put pillowcases on the peonies.
    Love love love

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your rhubarb patch is exuberant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh what a lovely day for you, my friend! Everything looks fresh and homey there! I have been waiting for rhubarb to show up at the store, and asking each time, S'use me, Is the rhubarb in yet?" Well, last week it was and I bought all there was! How much I wanted a warm piece of rhubarb custard pie, but I settled for chunk rhubarb sauce, heated with a dollop of vanilla ice cream.

    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your outdoor sitting area looks so inviting!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping in. Sorry, but due to spam, only registered users can comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...