Sunday, January 14, 2018

Whole30 recipes...


 This dish began as a crock pot pork loin which was delicious, 
and then the leftovers turned into 
Pork, Green Bean and Potato Hash.

Osso Buco and Cauliflower "Rice" & Mushrooms

My "Take A Stitch Tuesday" for last week.
Running stitch, round and round my hoop.

Hello Everybody!
Hubby and I have knocked out over 10 days of Whole30 and we're feeling GOOD!  I've been working at collecting a group of tasty recipes that will conform to the rules of Whole30 so we can have some good things in our dining rotation.  I must say that we've been eating like Kings!  I want our foods to be tasty and mostly easy to make, and I think the recipes that I'm sharing here are all of that.  

Starting at the top:  The Slow Cooker Pork Tenderloin.  There was a recipe I found online, but the only part I kept from it included the loin and the cooking time.  Otherwise, I did this:  Salt & Pepper a small pork loin and sear it on all sides in a skillet with a little olive oil.  Cut an onion into chunks and put it on the bottom of the crock pot along with chunks of  carrots, celery, and a couple cloves of smashed garlic.  Roll the seared pork loin into a mixture of course salt & pepper, garlic powder, and rosemary.  Lay the coated loin over the veggies.  Add about 1 cup of water down the side, put the lid on, and let it cook on LOW for 4-5 hours.  I served it with green beans sauteed with onions, water chestnuts, garlic and slivered almonds.

The next day I made a hash with the left-over pork starting with olive oil in my cast iron skillet, the pork pieces, onion, some left-over potatoes,  green beans and a clove of minced garlic.  Add salt & pepper and some smoked paprika at the end to your taste.

The Lime Chili Shrimp Fajita recipe was a hit too.  We both gobbled down an entire pan of this.  Since we are land-locked prairie savages, we don't have access to fresh shrimp, but I do buy frozen, raw shrimp from the local stores and it's just fine.  (What do we know anyway?)  The seasoning in this recipe is really great and I think you could make it with chicken, pork, or beef.  Even though it's a fajita recipe, we did not use tortillas because that's against the rules.  But you can use tortillas if you want.

Osso Buco is SO good.  We are cattle ranchers so we are blessed to have our own home-raised beef.  I know that "real" osso buco is made with veal shanks, but we don't butcher veal so instead, I subbed in beef shanks.  The servings are much larger than veal shanks, and I would venture to guess, every bit as tender.  This is an Ann Burrell recipe, so you know it's good.  The only things I did not follow  in the recipe was the fennel and the tomato paste amount.  I did not have fennel so omitted it and I probably only used 2 -3 tablespoons of tomato paste in my recipe.  

OnlyDaughter gave me a cauliflower "rice" recipe and we made that to eat alongside the Osso Buco.  It was delicious.  I can't find the link to the recipe, but I'll tell you how it went.  I didn't fuss as much as the recipe said (as is my way).

Cauliflower "Rice" & Mushrooms

1 - 12 oz package of frozen riced cauliflower (4 c.)
half of a medium onion, chopped
1 container of mushrooms of choice, sliced
olive oil or coconut oil for sauteing, about 2 T.
2 T. cashew butter
1 small clove garlic, minced (or powdered garlic)
Grated Parmesan cheese (if not restricting dairy)

First saute the onions in oil until beginning to brown.  Add mushrooms and brown them along with onions.  Remove from skillet.  Add a little more oil to skillet and then add riced cauliflower.  Saute a few minutes until tender.  Add cashew butter and minced garlic.  Stir in well and then add mushrooms and onions back in.  Stir  and heat through.  Add salt & pepper to taste.  If you want to, add a few shakes (or grates) of Parmesan cheese.    It's pretty darn good good and seems a lot like rice.

I hope these recipes might be helpful to you if you are working at eating healthier.  Even if you aren't trying to eat less carbs, these recipes are so delicious and well worth trying out.  I hope you do.

Today I'm starting the 2nd stitch for TAST.  It's the buttonhole stitch.  I think I'll do some buttonhole flowers.  We shall see what I come up with.

 

It's snowing today -- a very wet snow.  Heidi the German Shepherd and I went out walking this morning and got quite wet, but it was so warm it didn't matter to us a bit.  We were dressed for it.  I think we reached 34 degrees today, but it's going to fall as the day progresses and we will be back to single digits for a high temp tomorrow.  Bummer.  How's the weather where you are?

9 comments:

  1. Congrats on accomplishing 10 days on the Whole30 diet. I'm impressed how you take a regular recipe and modify it to suit the diet. My granddaughter is starting the Ketogenic diet this week but I don't know how that will go. Time will tell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're such a good cook, Jody! Delish!
    I love your round and round stitching!
    We are supposed to get cold and snow tomorrow. We've hardly had any real cold winter weather . . . YET!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had me at Osso Buco! I might have to come move in with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved how Whole30 made me feel when I did it last year. Wish I could have kept up with it. I'm trying the Trim Healthy Mama plan right now, and being off of sugar and white flour again has definitely had its benefits in terms of mood and increased energy.

    xofrances

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your recipes! They all sound yummy. I haven't made cauliflower rice yet. I miss having my own beef. That was always so nice.
    Its cloudy and we have storms coming in now. Its so nice. I hope you have a wonderful week. Started week three today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you guys and your healthy eating! The stitching is so cute. Sounds like you're having fun!
    We've been staying pretty cool. Might have a little higher temps later this week, but higher is a relative term, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funny, I asked about the weather in my post also. It snowed hard Saturday and Sunday then was seven below today. No snowshoeing for Ella and I. Your recipes look great. I have some frozen shrimp so I will try that this week. I have never heard of osso buco before. Thanks for the recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We had your lime shrimp fajitas with rice tonight and it was fabulous! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, yum, Jody! I am doing the Whole 30, too, and the food has been delicious! Thanks for sharing your good recipes!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping in. Sorry, but due to spam, only registered users can comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...