Monday, October 06, 2008

Simple Woman's Daybook...



Outside my window...
...a big blue jay flies in and out of view. The only blue we see in nature is our Big Sky and an occasional visit by a blue jay, lazuli bunting or blue bird. We are in a migration flyway which makes bird watching fun.

I am thinking...
When will our first freeze come? What day should I pick an armful of flowers in case they freeze?

I am thankful for...
...this day working with my hubby and sons on such a pretty autumn day.

From the kitchen....
...I baked an apple pie. I have 4 crusts in the freezer and lots of frozen apples in quart bags. It sure makes pie-making a snap.

I am wearing...
...jeans, a blue hoodie, stocking feet.

I am creating...
...dirty dishes.

I am going...
...to make the beds. It's Monday, sheet washing day, and yes, I even hung them out on the line again today! Breezy day for fast-drying!

I am reading...
...the Impatient Gardener by Jerry Baker. I needed some advice for planting our new orchard down below the yard. This weekend we planted 3 varieties of apple, 1 sour cherry and 2 plum trees. Hubby seeded grass and we've been watering it daily.

I am hoping...
...that the trees grow and the grass comes up before it gets very cold. Fall is an excellent time for us to plant trees and grass here in the North Country.

I am hearing....
...Grandpa visiting with the boys at the table.

Around the house...
...the sheets are off the clothesline and ready for bed-making, 3:00 lunch dishes are done, gusts of wind are blowing off bunches of leaves from the trees.

One of my favorite things...
....apple pie and REAL whipped cream and hot coffee.

A few plans for the rest of the week...
~Guests tomorrow, looking at bulls
~Web page building for the Bull Sale (need a bull?)
~Kids coming home this weekend. We're repairing the shed roofs (remember the hail?)
~Peeling, slicing, and freezing more apples this weekend too.
~Reading Montana, an Uncommon Land
~Hoping to receive a new books this week:
Country Child by Allison Uttley
Beatrix Potter, A Life in Nature
Doodle Stitching: Fresh and Fun Embroidery for Beginners
Colorful Stitchery: 65 Hot Embroidery Projects to Personalize Your Home

Here's a picture thought I'm sharing....



This is the blue jay who's been darting in and out of my feeder.

6 comments:

  1. Love your day book Ms. Gumbo. You have more leaves down than we do so far but I suspect they'll start coming down this week. Beautiful bird picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds wonderful! We had our first frost last night and our first fire in the woodstove.
    I also love freezing apples for pie, but haven't gotten to it yet...I did get applesauce made:)
    Have a great day,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful day you have. here we've our first frost, we live up north in Quebec, Canada.It's brisk air from now on but I like it. I haven't made apple pies yet but a lot of apple sauce. We have a lot of blue jays around too. They steel all the food from the brids. But tehy sire are pretty. My garden is now empty because of the frosts. Well you enjoy your day tomorrow and blessongs to you Mrs Gumbo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We haven't had a frost yet either - it's been close though. I have a beautiful bed of impatience that I am trying to enjoy day by day. they are not going to last much longer :)

    I can hardly wait to hear what you think of A Country Child - it's one of my favourites!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No frost in my neck of the woods..I enjoyed your picture.
    ~Deby

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jody - Just got your seeds in the mail!! Thanks so much. I'm going to plant them out by our barn. They will look very pretty there. Thanks again
    love
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping in. Sorry, but due to spam, only registered users can comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...