Sunday, July 10, 2016

Nature Notes: little babies, big babies...

Little Babies
Barn swallows



 

Big Babies
(These two photos courtesy of my DIL, JJo)

It's so exciting to encounter baby birds when you're out on the range or simply doing your chicken chores.  The neighbor grandkids,  JLynn and I were going to the chicken coop to tend to the chicken chores when a barn swallow flew out through the door as we walked in.  A lot of weedling sounds came from the rafters where an old barn swallow nest was.  It had been there since I can remember, but never had babies in it.  The grands were so excited.  We got a 5 gallon bucket and tipped it over to stand on so we could look in the nest and see wide-open  bird mouths begging for a bug or two.  I just love the wonder and thrill in the eyes of children when they see real new-life like that in their everyday lives.

JJo and CarpenterSon and Chief were out checking cows one day when they drove upon a high spot in the North Pasture.  They found this amazing sight!  Furruginous hawks.  JJo said that Mom and Dad Furruginous were flying  high above and screeching while she clicked the photos quickly and jumped back into the pick-up before she got dive-bombed.  Good wildlife capture, isn't it?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance that I should have been by any epaulet I could have worn.  ~Henry David Thoreau

7 comments:

  1. I'll say it's exciting! And that's just from vicarious experience.... I don't think I've ever seen wild baby birds in a nest, though I think some hatched here in my back yard this spring. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those hawk babies are a bit scary looking! Quite impressive photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How very interesting!!! I really like your nature notes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great capture for sure! And I agree the hawks are scary looking. Maybe they were trying to scare off the humans looking at them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing those fun pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw! Those wide-mouthed babies are precious! Your dil captured something precious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow -- what great baby bird photos! I didn't realize that the hawks would nest on the ground out in the open -- that's amazing. We've had several hawks terrorizing the local squirrels at my Mom's house this past week or two. Hardly any little birds or squirrels at her feeders - they've either been eaten or they're in hiding!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for stopping in. Sorry, but due to spam, only registered users can comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...